Philip Hertel, Switzerland

Nearly five months ago I arrived in Gisborne. After a warmly welcome from my homestay and a little tour through Gisborne I went to bed after the exhausting flight to New Zealand. A couple days later the school started, and I was grateful to go to school to meet some new people. In the first week in school we got a little tour through the school and we could choose our subjects. On the second day we got our school uniforms. First I wasn’t that happy about wearing a school uniform, but after a while I got used to it.

The school time was flying past. On the weekends I went surfing or did some little trips with my homestay. After a while we had two weeks holidays. I was able to surf nearly each day.

After those holidays we had just four more weeks school and then the study leave started. I wasn’t going to write the exams so I had a different program. The last weeks where a bit different in school, we had many little events. For example, different price giving’s, but what me impressed the most was the Haka from the whole school. I couldn’t do it on my own and I was a bit helpless when we did it, but it was still impressive. You could feel the whole school hall shaking and it was my first time I saw a Haka in real life.

In the second week of study leave we did a lot of little trips each day. My highlight was the Rere Rockslide. It was really fun despite a couple of little injuries and bruises. We did many trips more around Gisborne and each day I could see some new stuff.

In the third week we went to a camp in Mahanga. On the first two days we manly went surfing. There I could catch my biggest wave I ever surfed yet. That was probably my highlight from this camp. Later this week I went to the hot pools, we went kayaking and biking. At the last night we made a big campfire, that was a very good finish of this camp I thought.

Now I already reach half time and I can’t believe how fast the time is flying past.


Vor ca. fünf Monaten kam ich nach Gisborne. Nach einer herzlichen Begrüssung von meiner Gastfamilie und einer kleinen Tour durch die Stadt ging ich direkt schlafen, weil ich ziemlich müde von der langen Reise war. Nach ein paar Tagen fing die Schule an. Ich war froh in die Schule zu gehen um endlich ein paar Leute kennen zu lernen. In der ersten Woche bekamen wir eine kleine Führung durch die Schule und wir konnten unsere Fächer wählen. Am nächsten Tag bekamen wir noch die Schuluniformen. Erst war ich nicht sonderlich glücklich über die Schuluniform Pflicht, aber man hat sich schnell daran gewöhnt.

Die Schulwochen vergingen wie im Fluge. An den Wochenenden konnte ich surfen gehen oder wir machten kleine Ausflüge mit meiner Gastfamilie. Dann kamen schon die ersten Ferien. Da ich mittlerweile bei Frank angefangen habe zu surfen, konnte ich so gut wie jeden Tag aufs Wasser gehen.

Nach diesen Ferien hatte wir nur noch ein vier Wochen Schule. In diesen vier Wochen sah ich das erste mahl einen Haka, dies war ziemlich eindrücklich als die ganze Schule den Haka machte. Die ganze Halle bebte. Im Laufe dieser Wochen hatten wir auch noch ein paar Preisverleihungen.

Dann fing die Prüfungsphase an. Ich schrieb die Prüfungen jedoch nicht mit und darum hatte ich ein komplett anderes Programm.

In der zweiten Woche in der Prüfungsphase hatten wir jeden Tag verschiedene Ausflüge. Mein Highlight war der Rere Rockslide, trotz ein paar blaue Flecken. Sonst haben wir noch ein paar andere Sachen in der näheren Umgebung von Gisborne gemacht.

In der nächsten Woche gingen wir auf ein Camp in Mahanga. An den ersten zwei Tagen gingen wir surfen, wo ich meine grösste Welle bis jetzt genommen habe. Später in der Woche gingen wir noch zu den Hot-Pools und wir gingen Kayak fahren, sowie auch Mountainbiking, was aber Hauptsächlich Downhill war. Am letzten Tag machten wir noch ein Lagerfeuer, was ein sehr schöner Abschluss vom Camp war.

Die Zeit hier ging so unfassbar schnell vorbei. Ich kann es gar nicht glauben das die Hälfte schon rum ist.

Philip Hertel, Switzerland

Tairawhiti Waka

Our trip started in the morning of the 16th August. We went out with a waka. The trip started at the harbour in Gisborne. But before we could start with the trip, we needed over one hour preparation, there we learned a lot about the Waka and about how to sail one. For me it was nothing really new, because I sailed before. However the most important thing we learned, was that we have to listen to the leader of the boat.

When we finally got out, we learned how to turn the boat to tack. First we turned into the wind afterwards we turned out of the wind but on the other side. So we changed our direction for 180 degrees.

It was pretty tough to pull all these ropes at once.

After a while we got a little bit bored and it was cold and we were happy to go back.

But it general I was happy that we could do this trip and it was a great experience to sail on a waka. Also we learned some more interesting things about Maori culture and history.

Philip Hertel, Switzerland